Spicy Marinated Kale Salad
This is one of my all-time favorite kale salads. I love kale for a myriad of reasons. I even have a "Kale Yeah" tank from my friend Lauren that I wear with pride. There are so many vital nutrients in this amazing vegetable. Kale is also a lot more satisfying and satiating than its lettuce contemporaries. Not to mention, whenever I eat it I swear I can feel the energy and health pulsing though my system almost like a jolt of caffeine, but with no inevitable crash (DISCLAIMER: I fully support the consumption of caffeine. Coffee is life).
I often make this salad on my day off for weekday lunches. I divide it equally into containers and top it with extra goodies. The best thing about this salad is that the longer it sits, the better it tastes! So you can make lunch for half of the week without sacrificing taste or quality. Although counter-intuitive, the more you let this salad sit, the better. This is because the dressing and flavors can be absorbed and the tough kale can soften.
Makes approximately 3 servings
- 1 standard 150 g bag of cut and washed curly green kale (alternatively you can use about half a bunch. I buy the packaged bags at Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (NOOOCH y'all, aka the best stuff ever)
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos, tamari soy sauce, or liquid aminos
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Toppings: avocado, cherry tomatoes, goji berries, and hemp hearts.
- Empty the bag of kale into a large mixing bowl. If you are using a bunch of kale, make sure you wash and THOROUGHLY DRY your kale. This is important because wet lettuce will not soak up the dressing as effectively.
- Simply juice the limes and add all of the ingredients to the kale. Mix it well until everything is well incorporated. TADA!