Carrot Cake Oatmeal
This oatmeal is warming from the inside out, and is a perfect way to sneak in some extra veggies (never a bad idea).
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2/3 cup mixed water and almond milk
- 1 mashed banana (to sweeten)
- 1 finely grated carrot (or 6 baby carrots)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Dash of nutmeg and cloves
- Optional 1/2 tbsp lucuma powder
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
Recommended Toppings: nut butter, walnuts, shredded coconut, raisins, banana, dried figs, etc.
- Cook the oats as you normally would. I usually just use my microwave because I'm usually quite rushed in the morning. I know this is not ideal, but I do my best. I make them on the stove when I can. For the microwave, just combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and microwave for two minutes. Add the carrot, ginger. Cut the banana in two even parts. Set aside half to top your oatmeal, and mash the other half and mix it in with the oatmeal. Microwave for an additional two minutes.
- If you're using a stovetop, you just combine the liquid and oats and when it starts boiling, turn it down to a simmer and add all of the remaining ingredients until the liquid is absorbed.
- When it's ready, stir in the remaining ingredients (chia/lucuma). Then top with your desired toppings and enjoy!
NOTE: If you stir in chia seeds, then it's important to add a little bit more liquid than you normally would. Chia seeds rapidly absorb liquid up to 10-12 times their normal size! If you're including chia seeds stirred in the oats to make a sort of chia pudding/oatmeal, make sure to add at least 3/4 cup of liquid in total.